The Society for the Metaphysics of Science (SMS) will be holding its fourth annual conference 22–24 August 2018 at The University of Milan, Italy.
Our keynote speaker will be
Alexander Bird (Bristol & Kings)
In addition, Alastair Wilson (Birmingham) will deliver a presidential address.
All other sessions will comprise submitted papers.
As well as various presentations, the conference will also feature an organizational meeting of the Society which will elect officers, continue to make various policies, plan future conferences, etc. Both those interested in presenting papers and/or participating in the Society are invited to the conference.
At the conference, presentations will be 30 minutes, with a 10 minutes comment, 5 min reply, and 15 minutes for Q&A. Submissions should be on a topic in the metaphysics of science broadly construed, of no more than 4,500 words and should include an abstract of ~150 words and a word count. All papers must employ gender-neutral language and be prepared for blind review.
At most one contributed paper on which you are the presenting author can be submitted. No one will be permitted to present more than once at SMS 2018. A scholar may appear as co-author on more than one paper or symposium talk, but may present at SMS 2018 only once.
Submissions must be made using the EasyChair online submission system at
The submission deadline is 2 February 2018. Notifications of acceptance will be delivered by 2 April 2018. Selected speakers should confirm their participation before 4 May 2018.
The conference will have a $75 registration fee for faculty and post-docs, $10 for graduate students, $1 for emeritus faculty.
The Society would like to thank the Department of Philosophy at the University of Milan for support.
Contact Christina Conroy at email@example.com for further information.
- Christina Conroy (Morehead State University), Chair
- Matthew Slater (Bucknell University)
- Cailin O’Connor (University of California, Irvine)
- Claudio Calosi (University of Geneva)
- Michael Hicks (Oxford University)
- Alison Fernandes (University of Warwick)
- Zee Perry (Rutgers University)
On behalf of:
- Alastair Wilson, President, Society for the Metaphysics of Science
- Andrea Borgini, Co-Chair of the Local Organizing Committee, SMS 2018
- Giuliano Torrengo, Co-Chair of the Local Organizing Committee, SMS 2018
- Christina Conroy, Chair of the Program Committee, SMS 2018
- Ken Aizawa, Secretary/Treasurer SMS