Australasian Association for the History, Philosophy & Social Studies of Science (AAHPSSS)
University of Sydney
29 November - 1 December 2023
Call for papers, panel and workshop proposals
Deadline for submission extended to Monday 28 August 2023
The 2023 AAHPSSS conference will be held from 29 November to 1 December at the University of Sydney. This is our first "post-Covid" conference and we are hoping that delegates will make the effort to attend in person for what will be an exciting and stimulating event!
Individual papers, organised sessions, and full- or half-day session proposals are invited from members and non-members, and can be on any theme related to the broad remit of the Association, as follows:
- history, philosophy, sociology & anthropology of the sciences, medicine or technology, broadly construed
- science communication
- science policy and regulation
- science in society and culture
PAPER, PANEL AND WORKSHOP STRUCTURE AND LENGTH
Please note that paper and panel sessions will be 90 minutes long, and should consist of no more than three or four papers running at 15 to 20 minutes per paper, allowing for 30 minutes of questions and audience feedback.
Submission Requirements for Paper Proposals
Proposals for paper presentations must include for each presenter:
- An abstract (maximum 500 words)
- A short bio, including current contact information (maximum 300 words)
These two elements should be combined into one pdf file with numbered pages. Preferably, name this file with your last name and the words "paper proposal," e.g., "smith_paper_proposal.pdf ".
Submission Requirements for Organised Session Proposals (3–4 papers)
Proposals for complete sessions must include:
- A title for the session and a list of the individual paper titles and presenters. Make sure you indicate who is/are the session organiser/s i.e. the point of contact
- You may choose to present either a short abstract for the overall session (maximum 500 words) plus a short description (1-2 sentences) of each paper or a short description (1-2 sentences) for the overall session plus a short abstract (maximum 300 words) for each paper
- A brief bio for each presenter (maximum 300 words each) including contact details. Include a brief bio for the session chair if they are not a presenter.
The session organiser should combine these four elements into one pdf file with numbered pages. Preferably, name this file with your last name and the words "panel proposal," e.g., "smith_panel_proposal.pdf".
Submission Requirements for Half-day (3 hour sessions) or Full-day Proposals (6 hour sessions)
Proposals for workshops must include:
- A one-page outline of the session including session title, a brief description of the session's theme and intended audience, and the session's organiser/s name/s, (maximum 500 words)
- A short bio with current contact information for each of the session's participants, including the current contact information (maximum 300 words each)
The session organiser should combine these two elements into one pdf file with numbered pages. Preferably name this file with your last name and the words "workshop proposal," e.g., "smith_workshop_proposal.pdf ".
Please submit your proposal here: